Next time you’re in whip/ride mode (you know–like a jockey on a racehorse) trying to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN, try these simple steps to get out of your own way and LET YOUR GOOD UNFOLD. It’s always waiting for you, and sometimes the more you TRY TRY TRY, the more you push it away.
1. BECOME AWARE OF ATTACHMENT: Clutching certain outcomes might be pushing them away–possibly through your increased stress and the way you’re dealing with others–or through signaling the Universe that “I need that thing outside me to make me happy.” This perpetuates the illusion of separation and distance.
2. PRACTICE SELF-AWARENESS ABOUT YOUR BELIEFS: If you’re operating under the assumption that there’s not enough to go around, or that since you’ve never succeeded with this kind of thing before it’s doubtful you’ll achieve it now, guess what? You create a self-fulfilling prophecy.
3. RECOGNIZE RESISTANCE: Resistance can show up as all kinds of self-limiting Monkey-Mind Ego Chatter–some people call their Ego-Mind the Jackal or The Committee, which is always ready to “protect” you by shooting your higher ideas down. Resistance is not honoring your true self–it’s succumbing to the small, Gollum-like you.
4. HONOR YOUR EMOTIONS: All emotions should be honored as what they are– energy moving through your body. Often, people avoid feeling emotions with excessive Internet use, eating, drugs, sex, rock ‘n’ roll, retail therapy, even TV & sleeping! Simply by becoming willing to feel your emotions –and loving ALL ASPECTS of yourself, even the darker aspects (in my case, the Commandant or its evil cousin, the Sloth), you create an energetic shift.
5. EXPRESS HEART ENERGY: So many of us have shut down our heart centers! As a yoga teacher, I LOVE the heart opening poses www.yogajournal.com Other ways to open your heart include hugging a baby, a puppy or kitten (or your own beloved pet)– or perhaps a loving grandmother! When we express heart energy (which is 5000 times more powerful than the electromagnetic field from our brains) we connect with the Divine Flow.
6. BECOME WILLING TO RECEIVE: Are you suffering a deservability crisis? We must be willing to accept our good and recognize it when it comes to us. Expect the best, accept the bounty, and take action when it shows up.
With these steps, you can gracefully get out of your own way!
Envy Not Success
Success is measured in many ways and money is only one of them. Yet, because it can be measured it tends to be the only measure of success that gets anyone excited. It’s human nature. The subject line of over half the emails that I receive has a tempting number with a dollar sign and often that’s the email that gets opened, at least until the reader becomes desensitized. Still, Curiosity is a dependable aspect of our nature.
Lately, I’ve been somewhat preoccupied with the sociology of the internet. I spent quite a bit of time reading marketing studies from Michael Cheney and Jeff Walker. Both of these gentlemen have had some influence upon me, especially Michael.
I’ve never known anyone so young as he, who has overcome as much as he has and to have come through it all with such brilliance. I do not envy Michael or people like him. I do admire their tenacity, spirit and courage in the face of adversity. I’m moved by their indomitable good will towards others who’ve chosen to learn the art of positive influence.
If not for John Thornhill, I would’ve never known of Michael’s work. And as this thanksgiving weekend comes to a close, I remember my friends on the medicine wheel, the ones who share their good fortune in the best ways they know how, with consistency, commitment and most of all, with heart.
“If you learn from the best, you can become the best.”
John Thornhill’s Monthly Mentorship